Last year we have visited Carinthia in Austria for Christmas markets, but this year, we have decided to visit the Italian town Cividale del Friuli, as there is a small Christmas market too.
If you are traveling around Italy and are exploring Trieste, Venice, Udine and Gorizia, you might think of visiting Cividale del Friuli as well. If you don’t believe us, UNESCO world heritage list might convince you.
The symbol of Cividale del Friuli is the devil’s bridge, which divides the town on two sides. The bridge has been standing here since 15th century and was renovated in 1918. At the end of the bridge are steps, leading down to Natisone River, which offers great views up to the town and river cliffs, where the town was built.
Walk around narrow streets and you will easily notice, why Cividale del Friuli is under UNESCO world heritage protection. Cividale del Friuli has some beautiful old buildings, with long history. You will also easily noticed the Town Hall and town’s cathedral (Duomo), which stands just steps away from the archeological museum.
If you visit Cividale del Friuli in December, you will find here a small Christmas market and some street decorations, what does feel a little bit festive. But honestly, we believe the Cividale del Friuli is gorgeous to visit in the summer with all its outdoor cafes and Osterias (restaurants), so if you are in vicinity, make sure to stop for a glass of local wine and some typical snack.
8 travel tips for Cividale del Friuli from our readers (thank you guys!):
- Sunsets from the Devil’s Bridge are stunning, so don’t miss them
- Palio di San Donato is unique festival, which takes place in August (check the dates before coming) and transforms the Cividale del Friuli into medieval town
- Try some local wine and taste frico with polenta
- Every third Sunday Cividale del Friuli organize interesting flee market
- Close by to the Devil’s Bridge is an interesting Lobard temple
- You might be interested in Christianity museum
- You can also hike on Castelmonte, which is known as a pilgrim place
- If you are into shopping, Palmanova Village (outlet with brands) is only about 40 minutes drive away
Coordinates of Cividale del Friuli: 46.05.35.2 / 188.8.131.52
Subscribe to my NewsletterIf you want to get more interesting travel stories as the one above, please subscribe to my newsletter below: